My family loves macaroons. When we travel to destination races and rent a house, I have the ingredients for these shipped, if I know they won’t be readily available. They are not only yummy and easy, but loaded with goodness. NO COOKING required.
- 2 cups shredded ,unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almonds; grind in the food processor or coffee grinder to your liking. I do until fine, with some smaller pieces for texture.
- 1/2 cup Coconut Manna (you can find in most grocery stores or can substitute same amount of coconut oil)
- 1/4 to 2/3 cup agave – depending on your sweet tooth; maple syrup (up for vegan debate) or honey (not vegan) can be used as options
- 1 tsp. vanilla or another extract if you want to change the flavor
- Dash of salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup cocoa and some fresh mint for chocolate macaroons
- Mix all of the ingredients together and form how you like.
- I shape into golf ball sized macaroons and it makes 18-24.
- I stick them in the refrigerator for 20 minutes and actually keep them there, unless we are taking as a snack.
- They should keep for around 4 weeks in the refrigerator or you could freeze.
I am a home cook that does things my way. In my kitchen, I make breakfast, pack lunches, prepare snacks, and cook dinner. During the week, we eat real food that is homemade, organic, and local. On the weekends we do explore more of our local restaurants. I bake my own bread, juice fresh oranges every other day, and make my own kombucha and other weekly favorites.