Fall brings so many yummy new fruits and vegetables, we thought it would be a great idea to share some with those wonderful 4-legged friends that are part of our tri families. These are easy to make, a great cost savings compared to what we buy at the store, and so much healthier. Let’s give our pups a little love for all they do to support us; run with us, watch our athletes train on their trainers wondering why they never go anywhere on that bike, watch out the window for them to go by, and hang out at the races with us tri supporters.
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin purée or roast your own and purée in a blender
- 1/3 cup dry milk powder
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. fish oil (or canola oil or peanut oil)
- ¼ cup water
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients until dough comes together (don’t overmix!).
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough to 1/4” thickness on lightly-floured surface. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes or cut into squares or bars, the right size for your dog.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes. Flip and continue baking until hard, about 30 to 40 minutes total.
See how easy. I hope your pups love them as much as ours. (You can actually eat them yourselves, you know).
– THE TRIWIVES
Sherry is one of the TriWivesClub and LifeDoneWell co-founders and contributes to multiple blogs. She is a former co-owner of the California Apparel News and had a career in the healthcare industry. Her passions include traveling, real food, the environment, and animal rescue/welfare. She lives a healthy lifestyle and has been a vegetarian since 1987. She and her husband are parents to two rescue pups and reside in Connecticut.