We have found over the years that living with a triathlete provides many unforgettable and often unbelievable statements that give pause. Some of what comes out of their mouths just has to be shared. But, we’ve also found it’s not just the triathlete that utters these comments; we’re often just as guilty as is the rest of the family. So, we decided in the spirit of being good trisupporters, we would share some of them. The series will continue as long as they keep coming. We have faith in our triathletes that you’ll see these quotes of the month for many more months ahead. Plus, we’re sure you have your fair share, too. So, get ready to spill.
- From one of our children: Mom, I’m starting to feel like an old triathlete like dad. My friends wanted to see the 10 PM movie and I couldn’t go, because I had a Saturday workout at 7AM.
- After coming home from a swim: Boy, I just got a whiff of myself. I still have a run left. Maybe the stink of the run will offset the stink of the chlorine.
- Comment while discussing home renovation: Building a house is like a triathlon – you get out of T1 and then things just go fast. But, then you hit a snag with the contractor, like a flat tire on the bike. You get that fixed and make it out of T2 and then you hope it’s smooth sailing to the finish line. Why does he have to try and make everything compare to a triathlon?
- Day before a triwife was traveling to go home: I need to drop you off at the airport at 4:15 am, because I have to be at the pool at 4:30 to get a good lane. Doesn’t matter that the flight wasn’t until 7am and she’s already checked in!
- While finishing the plans for our new home I ask: So where are we setting up your bike? Trihubby: You know wherever. Me: Maybe we should design a space into the plans for it. Trihubby: That’s ok, it’s just you and me. With the twins going to college, we can put it wherever. I do fear wherever will literally mean in the middle of the house so he can be around where I am. Maybe that’s why he asked the AV guy to put speakers in my kitchen sitting room. OH NO!
- Got coupons for 40% off from IMXC for TYR and Rudy: I could probably use a new wetsuit. I wonder if Rudy sells helmets. I could probably use a new helmet, too. After looking: Oh, yeah, they do. Me: Do you REALLY need either? Trihubby: It’s not a question of need. They’re 40% off and I’ll eventually have to replace them. Good work, XC!
- When discussing taking the kids to college: When do we drop the kids at college? Maybe there is a race in the area I can do, too. Daughter: Daddy there is a race near Saratoga Springs. What this smart teenager girl is really saying: Daddy come visit me. I’ll watch you race and then you can take me shopping and to get real food since I will be on my college budget…
- Trihubby: Red wine is now ok in season; this article says so. Is that why we have 3 new cases of red just delivered??
- When he decided to have a second helping AND dessert: If you’re going to break it, you gotta just break it.
- We had just arrived home from vacation. He sees a big box from IMXC and before doing anything else, opens the box. Ooooh, look it’s a new carry on. (child-like expression is on face). Look at the kits. Great colors. Ooooh, I got a jacket too. Triwife: Didn’t I get a tee shirt? Trihubby: Nope. All mine….
– THE TRIWIVES
Sherry is one of the TriWivesClub and LifeDoneWell co-founders and contributes to multiple blogs. She is a former co-owner of the California Apparel News and had a career in the healthcare industry. Her passions include traveling, real food, the environment, and animal rescue/welfare. She lives a healthy lifestyle and has been a vegetarian since 1987. She and her husband are parents to two rescue pups and reside in Connecticut.