Who’s headed for Rev3 Wisconsin or vacationing in the Dells? I grew up in Illinois and we used to vacation in the Wisconsin Dells, but it’s been years since I’ve been there. Regardless, I have very fond memories. Did you know that the Dells is known as the Water Park Capital of the World? So, guess what that means – you have a lot of things to do that involve water. But, if that’s not your first choice, there is plenty of other activities to keep you occupied and we are here with some ideas. Oh, and don’t forget to check the Rev3 site for race activities and updates!
THINGS TO DO
- Rick Wilcox Magic Theater (1670 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy) – Lights, laughter, magic! This family friendly award-winning show features fast-paced illusions, combined with magic and comedy. This husband and wife team has been wowing audiences since 1999.
- Pirates Cove Adventure Golf (193 US Highway 13) – If you feel you can’t go a weekend without golfing, this is for you. Four 18-hole mini-golf courses of varying challenge, so you can golf till you drop. You can even learn about pirates if you get bored with golf!
- Paul Bunyans’ Northwoods Lumberjack Show (419 State Highway 13) – This live action attraction is great for kids and kids of all ages. You will see logging competitions, block chops, axe throws, sawing, and log rolls, among other events. Things you aren’t going to see many other places, trust me. They offer afternoon and evening shows and dining is available.
- Noah’s Ark Waterpark (1410 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy) – Have a blast at the largest water park in the US, with over 60 water-based activities. Make sure to bring your swimsuits.
- H. H. Bennett Studio (215 Broadway) – A fun and interesting museum showcasing the exquisite natural photography of H. H. Bennett and his love for the Wisconsin Dells region. It’s located downtown and you’ll get a great history lesson of the Dells.
- Big Sky Drive In Theater (on Highway 16 east of the Dells) – We had to throw in a bit of nostalgia. There aren’t many drive-in theaters left around, so take advantage. Enjoy a twin feature under the stars and partake of the concession stand. Their burgers are supposedly some of the best. Oh, the movies are actually current releases.
- The Tommy Bartlett Show (560 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy) – Okay, this one I can actually speak of from personal experience, so know kids will enjoy the entertainment. The show features daredevil performers doing water skiing and boating stunts, with a bit of comedy thrown in, and this year marks its 62nd season.
- Wizard Quest (105 Broadway) – Searching for a live video game with wizards and dragons? You’ve found heaven. Your quest is to locate the imprisoned wizards by answering riddles. You will also find secret passages and mythical characters. How fun!
- Downtown Main Street – It may be touristy and kitschy, but there are nuggets like Alpha Beta Karma, an indie women’s boutique with very affordable women’s clothing and accessories, and H.H. Bennett’s studio noted above.
- International Crane Foundation (neighboring Baraboo). This location has the largest number of crane species in the world. You will find exhibits, tours, and even origami for the kids.
PLACES TO EAT
- Monk’s Bar & Grill (220 Broadway) – Serving some of the best burgers in Wisconsin, this is a classic spot to eat, drink, and have a good time. Great sports bar.
- Moosejaw Pizza & Dells Brewing Co. (110 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy. S) – You can build your own pizza here, with a wide selection of meats & toppings, and wash it down with a variety of hearty brews from their microbrewery. They also have an arcade downstairs to keep the kids occupied.
- High Rock Cafe (232 Broadway) – A local favorite serving fantastic contemporary American cuisine and something for everyone, including kids. Known as one of the Dells top restaurants, it serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I love their motto – Eat Well, Laugh Often, Love Life. Shouldn’t we all…..
- The Cheese Factory (521 Wisconsin Dells Pkwy. S) – This is not The Cheesecake Factory. If you are looking for vegetarian/vegan food, this is the place for you. It offers a surprisingly flavorful, all vegan menu, serving a variety of fresh, quality, healthy dishes.
- Thunder Valley Inn – This is a 130-year old farmstead (an actual working farm) located outside of the Dells, where you will get a homemade meal made from scratch and servers dressed in Scandinavian dress. They also offer family friendly, farm threshing dinner shows for toe-tapping fun! Hey, enjoy the local culture!
In case you didn’t know, cranberries are huge in the Dells, because an insanely large percentage of the country’s cranberries come from this area. So, don’t be surprised if you see a ton of places selling cranberry hand lotion, dried cranberries to eat, etc. We’ve also included a great piece written by a local from TravelingMoms on 10 Best Things To Do For GrownUps. Have a great race and enjoy the Wisconsin Dells.
– THE TRIWIVES
DO HAVE FAVORITE THINGS TO DO & PLACES TO EAT IN THE WISCONSIN DELLS?
Sherry is one of the TriWivesClub’s founders. She is also a contributor at TravelingMom & Challenge Family. She has been her triathlete husband’s biggest supporter and co-traveler for over 15 years. She is a former co-owner of the California Apparel News and had a career in the healthcare industry. Her passions include running, traveling, real food, and animal rescue/welfare. She lives a healthy lifestyle and has been a vegetarian since 1987. She and her husband are parents to two rescue pups and reside in Connecticut.