If you want an easy, delicious bread recipe that will make your kids say “that’s the best bread ever mom”, then try this recipe now!
This is a bread recipe that I adapted once I found my very healthy husband had heredity pre diabetes and heredity high cholesterol. There is a lot you can add to it or change. Remember, cookbooks and books, read them, read the blogs, listen to what others have down and adjust for your needs.
I use this bread for morning toast and sandwiches for school lunches. It is best as avocado toast. Toast the bread and spread a smashed avocado squeeze some fresh lemon and a little salt and pepper, done!
I do use a bread machine for this loaf, but you can rise and bake as regular also. I will say, when I was working full time the bread machine was my best friend and it still is. There are plenty of breads I still use without, but for my weekly go to loaves, this makes it easy and allows me to focus on other foods.
Just throw the following in the bread machine in this order:
- 3 cups Bob’s organic whole wheat flour (now you can use any whole wheat flour but if making your own bread go organis, the flour is not that much more expensive and you save a ton of money just by making it yourself) also during the week when my husband is away I will spoil the kids and do 2 cups WW flour and 1 cup white bread flour.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt. I am cheap so I buy in bulk and use my mortar and pistol to grind, spend more on good salt but save buying in bulk.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Canola oil, I use organic but you can use coconut oil or other shortening too ( I measure the oil into a 1/3 cup measuring cup and roll it around to coat to make the next step easier. Now I made great bacon this morning I would have used that as my shortening, but since my husband will be eating this loaf I needed to keep it animal free.
- 1/3 cup honey (I like to keep it real so I use raw honey, if not using bread machine you need to warm this or use regular honey or even agave)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast, use the good stuff! Rapunzel Rize Organic
- Finally 1 1/8 cup warm water, bath temperature.
Again, you can add what you want flax seed, splash of milk, seeds, just make sure to check it and see if you need extra water as it kneads. You want it elastic to touch.
I do check the texture 2-3 times as I go and add water or flour if needed.
In my machine, I cook it on whole wheat, 1.5 pounds, light color. That’s how we like it.
I am no expert, just a mom and wife who loves a great challenge and believe in providing my family the best food possible. Yes we cheat, but you have to…
Bottom line, I believe in real food, keep it whole, keep it real, keep it local and keep it yours!
Do you have other needs in your diet? Send it to me if you don’t want to mess with it and I will try.
- 3 cups Bob’s Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry east
- 1 1/8 cup warm water
Just throw the following in the bread machine in the order of the ingredients above.
I am a home cook that does things my way. In my kitchen, I make breakfast, pack lunches, prepare snacks, and cook dinner. During the week, we eat real food that is homemade, organic, and local. On the weekends we do explore more of our local restaurants. I bake my own bread, juice fresh oranges every other day, and make my own kombucha and other weekly favorites.