Planning dinner or brunch sometimes lacks the planning for me…. I just look in the refrigerator and start pulling things out. Most of the time I know it will involve eggs. A Frittata is a great choice, given it is quick, easy, always tasty, and a crowd pleaser.
For this recipe, I went for a veggie Frittata, but it is easy enough to change up what you put into it for a meat-filled meal. For example, make an Italian Frittata by using mild Italian sausage, onions, and any other of your favorites and serve with a red sauce. But, for this one, we are going veggie. It truly is all the cook’s choice.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 9 eggs - I always use large or extra large and at room temperature.
- 1 1/4 cups leeks, chives and green onions combined - you can also use onion instead.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
- 2 1/2- 3 cups veggies of your choice. If you are using leafy greens, like spinach, think of them as being packed down when you eye them for measurement. I used mushrooms, asparagus, sweet peppers, and spinach.
- 1/4-3/4 cup cheese of choice - I used a whole bunch of ends that I had to use them up; a little goat cheddar, fresh mozzarella, and drunken goat.
- Any fresh herbs you would like to add - I used thyme.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm olive oil and butter in the skillet and saute leeks, green onion, and chives with a little salt.
- When this mixture is just wilting, add the hearty veggies, asparagus, and peppers and stir in and let cook another 3-5 minutes until soft. Then add mushrooms.
- While these are sautéing, mix the milk and yogurt in the eggs and whisk together.
- Add the cheese, stir in, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the spinach to the veggies and mix in and turn the heat off of the skillet. The cast iron stays very hot so you do not want to add the eggs with the flame on.
- Now this is the part I missed on the this particular one… Add the egg mixture to the veggies and stir the mixture together.
- Move the skillet to the hot oven and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. This is the tricky part as ovens all cook differently. You want to cook until the middle is not wobbly when you shake the skillet. You can also check my inserting a baking test stick or toothpick in the middle and if it pulls out clean, it is done.
- Take out of the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Now you have two choices. You can either flip it over onto a board or serve out of the skillet.
You will need a spatula and a 10.5 inch deep cast iron skillet or a cooktop to oven safe skillet.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Sherry is one of the TriWivesClub and LifeDoneWell co-founders and contributes to multiple blogs. She is a former co-owner of the California Apparel News and had a career in the healthcare industry. Her passions include traveling, real food, the environment, and animal rescue/welfare. She lives a healthy lifestyle and has been a vegetarian since 1987. She and her husband are parents to two rescue pups and reside in Connecticut.