If you are doing Ironman 70.3 Kansas, we have a few things you can see and do in the Lawrence area. Jodi has been to this race on more than one occasion, both with Guy and her daughter, Lindsay. In fact, this is where Lindsay placed 3rd in her age group and won a spot to the Ironman 70.3 World Championships. Oh, did I mention this was her first 70.3 race!!!! Yes, she’s that good…..Lawrence is a small, college town, so offers all the amenities that cater to the students and families. Enjoy…..
THINGS TO DO
- Massachusetts Street (downtown) – This is the heart of the city and offers something for everyone; from shopping at unique stores to great food and drink to live music.
- Liberty Hall (downtown) – This is a historic theater venue for music, films, and live performances. On Broadway!! A Cabaret is playing on stage this Friday night.
- Spencer Museum of Art (Univ. of Kansas campus) – The museum has a quality collection of art pieces from around the world, reflecting numerous styles.
- University of Kansas Natural History Museum (Univ. of Kansas campus) – Here you can explore 4 floors of the earth’s history and see a 45 foot Mosasaur that looms over the lobby. The museum also covers bugs to evolution to animals & plants of North America.
- Lawrence Indoor Aquatic Center – This facility boasts a 10 lane 50 meter competition pool, family pool, and a water slide.
- Prairie Park Nature Center – This is an 80 acre nature preserve with an educational building with displays and live animals and native wildlife on the property.
- Lawrence Farmers’ Market – These are always great for fresh, local fruits and vegetables and local flavor. Saturdays from 7-11 am and Tuesdays from 4-6pm at 824 New Hampshire.
- Summer Concert Series – Lawrence City Band performs at South Park, 1141 Massachusetts Street on Wednesday evenings at 8pm.
PLACES TO EAT
- Free State Brewing Co. (downtown) – The first legal brewery opened in Kansas, with a tasty selection of dishes and quality brews. Daily specials and a lively nightlife.
- WheatFields Bakery Cafe (downtown) – Experience a host of delicious baked goods and other foods, including sandwiches.
- Dempsey’s Burger Pub (downtown) – Grab a napkin and get ready to chow down on some of the best burgers in town.
- Muncher’s Bakery – Great if you need your bagels and donuts before the race.
- Zen Zero (downtown) – This is an Asian noodle shop and restaurant with cuisines from all over the far east and an extensive wine list. Perfect for vegetarians.
- Sylas & Maddy’s – If you want some homemade ice cream and seriously, who doesn’t, head to this shop. It’s described as the best ever.
So, this should give you a lot to do and places to eat in Lawrence. You can always check Visit Lawrence for more information and be sure to check the Ironman website for any updates on the race. Enjoy Kansas and have a great race day!
– THE TRIWIVESCLUB
DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE ACTIVITY OR PLACE TO EAT IN LAWRENCE, KANSAS?
Sherry is one of the TriWivesClub and LifeDoneWell co-founders and contributes to multiple blogs. She is a former co-owner of the California Apparel News and had a career in the healthcare industry. Her passions include traveling, real food, the environment, and animal rescue/welfare. She lives a healthy lifestyle and has been a vegetarian since 1987. She and her husband are parents to two rescue pups and reside in Connecticut.