I’ve really gotten into making a variety of quinoa dishes lately. Being vegetarian, it really works well for me and can be used in a variety of ways. I tried this salad the other night and have to say it was a huge hit. My husband finished it off and actually asked that I make an extra batch for him to take for lunch, the next time I make the dish. While he is always appreciative of what I make, requesting “more please” doesn’t happen every day, so I will definitely be making this one again. Here’s my recipe…..
QUINOA SALAD WRAP
You can use just basic unadulterated quinoa, but I happen to like Pereg Gourmet’s Quinoa with Spinach. They have several different varieties, but I tend to use this one. I also use a vegetable broth instead of water for cooking for a little added flavor. It takes about 20 minutes. I buy it at Whole Foods, but that doesn’t mean it’s not carried at other stores.
Makes 4 – 6 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese – You can omit to make it vegan.
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds – I use raw unsalted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed preferred, but I always keep organic bottled on hand
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Package multigrain wraps
- Optional: 1/2 cup dried fruit, such as cranberries; 1/2 – 1 cup garbonzo beans; chopped artichokes – I used Monterey Farms ArtiHearts, again bought at Whole Foods.
- Cook the quinoa according to directions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine the other ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
- Let the quinoa cool a bit when done.
- Add the cooled quinoa to the other ingredients and toss.
- Adjust seasonings, including olive oil and lemon juice to your taste.
- Fill the wraps and serve.
While I served the salad in a wrap, you can certainly just enjoy it on its own. That’s usually what I do the next day…
DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE WAY TO FIX QUINOA?
Sherry is one of the TriWivesClub’s founders. She is also a contributor at TravelingMom & Challenge Family. She has been her triathlete husband’s biggest supporter and co-traveler for over 15 years. She is a former co-owner of the California Apparel News and had a career in the healthcare industry. Her passions include running, traveling, real food, and animal rescue/welfare. She lives a healthy lifestyle and has been a vegetarian since 1987. She and her husband are parents to two rescue pups and reside in Connecticut.