Are you craving traditional, old-fashioned meatballs and want to serve them with your carb loading meal before a race? Well, I have a homemade meatballs recipe that you only need one bowl to make, cuts the grease, and you most likely already have all the ingredients in the house. That’s why I call them perfect…
I make a big batch and freeze the leftover meatballs to use at another time. They are great served with veggies, on a hoagie, or as an appetizer with a little mozzarella.
THE PERFECT HOMEMADE MEATBALLS
Makes 30 meatballs.
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 lbs group pork or bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 red pepper diced small
- 1 small onion diced
- 3/4 bread crumbs or panko
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
If you prefer, you can change the meat to 1 pound white turkey meat and 1 pound dark turkey meat.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Line a cookie tray with foil or parchment and lightly oil with olive oil. This just makes easy clean up.
- Place all ingredients in a big bowl.
- Using a fork, gently beat eggs just to combine.
- Using washed hands, gently combine all ingredients together.
- Form into meatballs, about 2 inches round.
- Place on the cookie sheet; close, but not touching.
- Bake at 375 for about 25-30 minutes
- Add them to the sauce about 5-10 minutes before serving.
I make my own sauce, but you can use your favorite store bought. I, of course, serve over our favorite pasta for a carb loading meal…Enjoy!
I am a home cook that does things my way. In my kitchen, I make breakfast, pack lunches, prepare snacks, and cook dinner. During the week, we eat real food that is homemade, organic, and local. On the weekends we do explore more of our local restaurants. I bake my own bread, juice fresh oranges every other day, and make my own kombucha and other weekly favorites.