When it comes to comfort food and real food, my mom takes the prize hands down. Not only is she a great cook because she’s my mom, but she just also happens to be a professional chef. This recipe for baked cod with fragrant vegetables, made with fennel, onions, cabbage, and potatoes, is one of my twins’ favorites. They always ask for it when we visit, along with her stuffed french toast. I mentioned this dish in a blog post the other day and got many requests for the recipe, so decided to share. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does…
Preheat oven to 400.
- 1 pound cod or any firm white fish cut into 3-4 oz pieces
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 fennel bulb washed well and cut into 1/2inch strips (make sure you take out the core as it never softens)
- 1 sweet white onion cut into 1/2″ vertical strips
- 1/2 head green cabbage or more if you like cabbage, cut into 1″ strips
- 4-6 yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into thirds or fourths
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chicken/vegetable stock
The important thing is to cut the vegetables, so they will all cook without falling apart.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Sauté onions and fennel for about 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and toss to coat with olive oil and sauté about 3 minutes more.
- Add 1/4 cup dry white wine and cook 3 more minutes.
- Add potatoes and stock to cover vegetables; cook slowly until potatoes are tender.
- Place vegetables in oven proof dish.
- Dust fish with flour mixed with salt and pepper.
- Sauté in non-stick skillet with a trace of olive oil.
- When fish is lightly golden brown, place atop warm vegetables.
- Bake about 5-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
I like to garnish with fresh fennel fronds before serving, since you have them from the dish anyway. I also like to serve the baked cod with a nice salad and some fresh, homemade bread. I’m in heaven….
WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE HANDED DOWN FAMILY RECIPE?
Sherry is one of the TriWivesClub and LifeDoneWell co-founders and contributes to multiple blogs. She is a former co-owner of the California Apparel News and had a career in the healthcare industry. Her passions include traveling, real food, the environment, and animal rescue/welfare. She lives a healthy lifestyle and has been a vegetarian since 1987. She and her husband are parents to two rescue pups and reside in Connecticut.